Saturday, July 11, 2009

Fourth of July

I love July 4th! It really is my favorite holiday. I think that's because I love summer and having a fun holiday right in the middle of it all. I love long, relaxing summer days full of good food and friends and family. This year I started a new tradition: running in the Stayton Fourth of July races. Anna and I decided we weren't quite ready for the 10k, but the only other option was a 3k, which is a shorter run than either of us do anymore. But we decided to just see how fast we could run 1.8 miles. We shocked ourselves! Rich had decided that I should try to run it in under 17 1/2 minutes. The day of the race, being the ornery husband that he is, he said he expected me to get first place in my age group and run it in under 16 minutes! Well, I'll be darned if I didn't do it!!! My official time was 15:50, but I figure I can shave off at least 5 seconds for the time it took me to actually get to the start line once they started the timer. I really made myself proud, but the best part is how much I impressed my husband! He had just told the girls that it would be a couple more minutes before I got to the finish line, when there I came running around the corner! Pretty cool... This is the Steiner and Rowzee kids celebrating the Fourth by cheering for their moms.
Anna and me waiting for the race to start.We let Avery, Josiah, and Micah have their own little race. No, Anna and I didn't start our race like that! Maybe I'll try it next time... So, I don't know how many years we've celebrated the Fourth with our very good friends, the Libbys, but we're going on at least 5, I'd say. We barbecue pizzas, hang out, make homemade ice cream, and all watch the fireworks together. This year we got out the slip and slide. Afterwards we read the warnings: no kids under 5 and there was a weight limit of something like 60 lbs. We were in major violation, since Allie's only 3 and Rich and Russ couldn't just sit and watch! This is Avery telling Aunt Connie about having gone down the big water slide at swimming lessons all by herself.
Hailey and Avery sunbathing.I know, Ethan is so old!!! Can't believe he's almost 8! What a sweet, loving, amazing kid! I couldn't be prouder if I had raised him myself!Allie loves Uncle Russell. This is one of the several cuddle sessions she had with him. I know what you're thinking, and my answer is: I have no idea how I'm going to break her of sucking her fingers!
Lord, let there be many July Fourths ahead just like this one!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go runner girl! I'm so proud of you and Anna-that's so awesome! Looks like fun on the 4th too! And I love your anniversary pictures! I've always wanted to try that dessert place. And I love the dress you are wearing-adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, fun, fun. I will admit that I get just a little jealous. Wish we had a tradition with you too. Boo for me, yeah for you :) Great job running too, way to go!

    ReplyDelete