Thursday, September 10, 2009

Allie's First Day

At first, we wondered if we'd send Allie to preschool this year. After all, it's really not necessary and she might be my last baby, so I should keep her home, right? Then I said to myself, "it's only 5 hours a week!" We spend every other minute of every day together, minus our precious nap time. Plus, if Allie's in preschool twice a week, I'll have the perfect opportunity to volunteer in Avery's kindergarten room once a week. So, we decided to let Allie go and she's been so excited! She has been going with me every time I drop Avery off at preschool for the last 2 years, and today was her turn. I asked her what she thought she'd get to do at preschool and she said, "play with the toys!" Poor kid has stared at and touched those toys every morning we're in there, only to get dragged away by Mommy and never allowed to explore all the wonderful "school toys". They really are much better than the toys at home!
Seriously, so cute!!!

Well, Avery doesn't get to start kindergarten until next week. She can hardly stand it. Everyone else we know has started and all the big kids started yesterday, but kindergarten begins a week later. So we had a special mommy/daughter breakfast date while Allie enjoyed her first day. I took her to one special coffee shop (which I will not disclose the name here) and ended up leaving! There wasn't anything that looked good for breakfast and the only thing Avery wanted was a bunny cookie. When I asked how much it was, the barista said three dollars! I'm sorry, I can't pay three dollars for a normal-sized, ordinary sugar cookie. Avery was quite upset, but I wouldn't budge. We went to good old Starbucks instead and had a great time. She got her own hot chocolate and loved it! I thought she looked so cute sitting with me drinking from her own Starbucks cup! My big girl!!!


You know, when you're a mom, you've got to take advantage of mornings like this. Yes, there was plenty to do around my house, but there's only a few times like these. I'm well aware that this time with my girls is short - five and half years has flown by and I'm facing saying goodbye to my first daughter every day and leaving her in the hands of virtual strangers (not really, of course she is TOTALLY in God's hands - how else could I handle it?). My kids drive me absolutely crazy at times and I relish quiet moments alone, but Lord, thank you for my daughters!!!!!!!!!
*Oh - and update on Allie's morning: she went on a search for the gingerbread man, ate gingerbread cookies, and chewed through her backpack zipper - I know, she's weird!!! That's my quirky girl for ya!

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I love that pic of you two at Starbucks! How fun for you both! Allie looks so happy and absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe Allie is in preschool! Wow! Where does the time go?! Such cute pictures of her and I love the ones of you and Avery at Starbucks-so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special day! I'm so proud of each of you and love you all soooooooooo much! Thanks for recording these precious moments!
    Love, Gramma Ginny

    ReplyDelete