Thursday, June 14, 2012

For the love of the game...

I'm not sure if there are many better moments as a parent than taking time out of your busy week and getting to sit in the sun and watch your kid play a sport.  I looked forward to it all spring.  Granted, it made for a super-busy season, bustling kids to practices and games, but I wouldn't trade it.  I believe it is so good for my kids to be learning a skill and get to be a part of a team.  

 Allie played tee ball for the first time this year and loved it.  Rich and I weren't sure if she would, though, since it's a lot of standing around and hoping the ball comes to you.  But she looked forward to it every day and was always asking if she had practice or a game that day. 

Our friend and neighbor had his son on Allie's team and helped coach.  Thanks, Tyler!  In this picture, he's probably telling Allie not to fall on the ball when she goes to field a hit.  The girl thinks it's a race against everyone else on her team to get to the ball first.  Never mind if you fall on it like it's a land mine and you're saving your teammates from imminent death, then you can't actually make a play and get the runner out.  It's a tough world out there and you gotta make sure no one else gets the ball...
 


She got a hit and was standing on first base.


And now it's turn for me to admit my failure as a mom.  I guess I was just having too much fun relaxing to actually take good pictures of Avery this season.  I feel sad, but these are 2 of the only 4 or so pictures I took, I guess!  At least I have proof she played. 

She still loves soccer.  And by golly, she's getting to be a great little player!  Her coach calls her a fireball :)  She has gotten so much better at handling the ball and she just gets in there and gives a good fight.  I really love to watch her play! 

This is an example of the reason I love my kids to be in sports.  They learn early to take a knee when a player on either team is down with an injury.  They all drop instinctively when someone gets hurt.  So cute!



And this is the other awesome picture of my stud little soccer player!  Sorry, Avery, I'll do better next season!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's awesome that your kids are so athletic! (after reading this and the one about the Awesome 3000). My oldest enjoys *being on sports teams*...which is not the same as actually playing sports. She prefers to put on her uniform and hang out with her teammates...actually handling the ball, she could take it or leave it! My middle is devoted to ballet and wants nothing to do with sports. Evie has the energy to be good at sports, I think, but she is so unfocused that actually learning the rules of a game or listening to a coach might be a challenge. We'll have to wait and see!

    ReplyDelete