Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Short Summer

This has been the shortest summer ever. Hands-down. I know we've done a few things and have had some fun, but it just plain hasn't been long enough! I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that two weeks from tomorrow I will be dropping off my firstborn daughter to first grade. I'll wave goodbye to her at 9 am and won't pick her up until 3:15. How in the world did this become necessary and expected for a mother to do that to a six year-old? Let's be honest, Avery will be just fine - great, even. But what about me??? It's only been six years since I gave birth to her - I've just begun raising her!

As I explained my struggles to a friend whose children are several years younger than mine, I realized that I have already had Avery for 1/3 of the time that she is likely to spend living in my house. That fact really hit me. There's a reason we don't wait until they are 18 to start kicking them out the door. They've got to start developing an understanding of who they are when mom isn't there staring at them, waiting for them to make a decision (ok, prompting them..).

So, instead of dwelling on all the reasons I am so reluctant to send her (such as: will she actually eat her lunch?; will she choose good friends?; I'm going to miss her!!!), I'm really trying to focus on the many reasons she's going to love first grade. She'll get to go to music class, p.e., eat lunch with friends (hopefully), make new friends, and that little brain of hers is going to soak up all that knowledge like a sponge! But, boy, I'll be so ready to see her when she runs out of those school doors every afternoon!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Erin,

    The Catholic Response to "Are You Saved?"

    The Catholic Christian answers this question in three stages or levels corresponding to the three meanings the words "saved" and "salvation" have in the Bible.

    Catholic Christians can respond that they have been saved. This acknowledges the first meaning of "saved" and "salvation" in scripture--Jesus Christ, Savior, by whose act of salvation we are objectively saved--He died, rose from the dead, saved them from sin.

    2 Corinthians 5:17
    So whoever is in Christ is a new creation.

    Catholic Christians can also respond that they are being saved. This acknowledges the second meaning "saved" and "salvation" have in scripture--the present experience, God's power delivering constantly
    from the bondage of sin.

    1 Corinthians 15:2
    Through it (the gospel) you are also being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.

    Catholic Christians also respond that they will be saved, that they have hope and confidence that God will give them the grace of perseverance; that they will respond to it; and accept his gift of salvation until their death.

    This acknowledges the third meaning the words "saved" and "salvation" have in scripture--the future deliverance of believers at the Second Coming of Christ.

    Romans 5:9
    How much more then, since we are now justified by his blood, will we be saved through him from the wrath.

    ReplyDelete